For those of you experimenting with CBD, you may have noticed very different results with different approaches. To begin with, it’s important to find a reliable brand to maximize your results. Although it’s not as easy for bad players to succeed as it once was, they still linger in the darker corners of the industry. Facebook groups, 3rd party lab reports, and customer reviews will help you find reliable brands and products.
Should I use it daily, or just as needed?
This is simultaneously one of the easiest AND most difficult questions to answer with regard to CBD. After finding a good brand, it’s certainly important to give any product adequate time to work. Possibly up to two or three weeks. The key, as it’s spelled out in the article How Often Should You Take CBD?, is to “Develop a routine that works for you, start with a minimal dose and work up if necessary.”
Maybe your body has a very responsive endocannabinoid system. Maybe you can get away with just using CBD oil for brief periods as needed rather than every day. That is more the exception than the rule though.
What constitutes “as-needed” use?
Many customers try to anticipate when and how to use CBD oil for their pets. Just before thunderstorms, vacations, and the 4th of July are the times when we get the following question the most frequently at 4 Corners Cannabis: “How long does it take to work?” These pet owners are hoping to use CBD exclusively during thunderstorms, long car rides, and/or noisy holidays. Although often ineffective, this is what we’d classify as “as-needed” use. Other examples of when/why people use CBD as needed include:
- Sudden onset of anxiety
- Directly after spraining or straining a muscle
- Right before bedtime at the end of a stressful day
Many of our bodies aren’t responsive enough for “as-needed” use to provide any relief for these symptoms. The result? These scenarios often don’t have the desired outcome. The infrequency of use also gives us limited feedback when it comes to the navigation of how/when to use the product effectively. We can increase that valuable feedback drastically just by increasing our use to a daily model, if only for a week or two.
What constitutes “daily” use?
Some customers are open to trying CBD as a part of their daily regimen straight away. These are usually customers with more severe conditions like:
- Chronic joint pain from past injuries,
- Crohn’s Disease,
- Many many more. This list is far from exhaustive.
These folks are usually ready to take on CBD as a part of their daily lives because their conditions are typically permanent and severe enough that they merit considering any possible solution very purposefully. They use their CBD faithfully, once or twice per day. Since they give the product an adequate shot at helping to mitigate their symptoms over the course of days, weeks, and months, they often get a chance to see a good deal of improvement. One Royal Queens Seeds article supports this, stating,
“Like many other substances, CBD can build up in the body over time. It’s believed that this can lead to an increase in cannabinoid receptors, which makes the entire endocannabinoid system more receptive and efficient.”
The majority of people need consistent, sustained use to reap the optimal health benefits of CBD. Because of this, many people find good brands and pass right over them…
Imagine the following two scenarios stemming from the same root problem:
Dave experiences chronic shoulder pain from a past injury. A slow decline in functionality results because he didn’t or couldn’t pursue physical therapy adequately to heal his shoulder. Getting dressed in the morning has become difficult. Dave even has to walk his hand across the table to grab the salt shaker because moving his arm in that general direction hurts.
He’s heard great things about CBD oil for pain management and wants to give it a try. Dave opens the mail excitedly when his very first CBD product arrives. He can’t wait for even the smallest bit of pain relief in his shoulder. The progression from this point will likely go one of two ways:
- Day 1: Dave takes the recommended amount of CBD and waits to feel a difference
- Day 2: He notices that getting dressed in the morning is a little bit easier than it’s been for quite some time. Happy that He may have found the right remedy for his shoulder, he takes the recommended amount again.
- Day 3: Although not fully mobile, Dave is feeling like his shoulder’s mobility is increasing. He uses his CBD for a third time. It only adds a moment or two to his daily routine and the health benefits are already apparent, so he plans to keep using it once per day.
- Fast-forward to day 30: Although he still feels mild pain in his shoulder, it’s no longer such a huge obstacle for Dave’s daily routine. He continues with daily CBD use, and highly recommends it to the people in his life whom he thinks will benefit from it.
- Day 1: Dave takes the recommended amount and waits to feel a difference
- Day 2: He didn’t feel anything yesterday, but thinks to himself, “surely it’ll take more than one day to work.” Still eager to see results, he takes a larger amount than he did the prior day.
- Day 3: It’s been 48 hours since Dave’s first use. He still doesn’t feel any pain reduction, and feels extremely discouraged. He reaches out to the company and returns his product for a refund.
- Fast-forward to day 30: Dave’s shoulder is particularly inflamed today. Getting dressed is even more problematic than it normally is. He must do something to address this. He feels like he might have just gotten a bad CBD product, so he finds another brand and product to try. When he receives the product, days 1-3 inevitably play themselves out the same way that they did the first time.
- Fast-forward to day 60: Dave has spent $200.00 on CBD products and his shoulder is no better than when he started. He’s now considering an expensive shoulder surgery that his doctor has been recommending for the past 6 months.
Scenario 1 is what most customers expect based on what they’ve heard from others, and it does happen… for some people. Scenario 2, however, is far more common. People’s bodies take more or less time to respond to CBD use based on their own endocannabinoid system. Little does Dave know in scenario 2 that just a week or two more of consistent use could have made all the difference and improved his quality of life. He may have even been able to put off that shoulder surgery indefinitely.
Anyone can add CBD to their daily routine
That being said, CBD use isn’t limited to customers with severe ailments, or ailments at all. As one CBDOil Review article CBD Oil Dosage says, “You don’t necessarily need to have a serious illness to benefit from CBD; even healthy individuals can experience a remarkable increase in their quality of life with its use.” In theory, even the fittest people on Earth, like olympic athletes, might further maximize their performance with CBD.
Most reliable CBD companies have very generous return policies, so give your body time to adjust to the CBD product that you choose. When you have a full 30 days to return a product, you might as well use it for more than three days. After two or three weeks, you can still return the product, so you have nothing to lose by trying it for that entire time.
The majority of customers report superior results when using CBD daily as opposed to using it occasionally as needed. If you know anyone that shares Dave’s story in scenario 2, encourage them to give CBD another try… a more extensive try. Navigation in the CBD world isn’t exactly easy, so planning not to expect immediate results is important (and if you’re a hyper-responsive individual you’ll be pleasantly surprised!). You now know when and how to use CBD oil for yourself. The gradual strides that many of us make with CBD don’t always appear obvious at first, but given a little more time, those strides become life changing for some. If you have any lingering questions about your CBD regimen, reach out to us at our contact page.